Friday, March 8, 2013

poetry spam #5810848151014284, all about the creation of adam and some other junk





Hi Hey Hello.

Like, I am bad at blogging and 100% of my Promises of Renewed Blogging Initiative and Grandeur were basically just empty threats, but, hey, it's really okay.

So what I'm going to do is post more poetry right now because I don't have a real post for you and because I'm taking three writing classes this semester so basically all I ever do is write poetry and write fiction and research slut-shaming1 and the Rape-aXe2 and satya3  then write papers about all of those things. I also do a lot of laying on the floor in my apartment. But I digress.

So here's a poem I wrote. It's for my Creative Writing class, but I wrote it because we've been studying High Renaissance in Art History, and I'm obsessed with Michelangelo's Creation of Adam4 and it sort of got stuck in my head and I had to write about it and all of the feels it made me have, because that's what my brain does with stuff. It turns it into words.

Voilà, and stuff.

(You can click on it to make it bigger/more readable/I am a narcissist)


Footnotes:

1. Slut-shaming is "the act of making a woman feel guilty or inferior for engaging in promiscuous sexual activity", and it also relates to a lot of cases of rape where douchey men try to get around criminal charges of sexual violence by claiming that it was the woman's "fault" for dressing or behaving a certain way, and that she was "asking for it" or he "couldn't help himself". Some real live court cases have actually bought this garbage and the man has been pardoned by the law for raping a woman. Mostly, everything about this makes me feel very rage-y and disgusted by everyone and I really shouldn't get so worked up in a footnote, for crying out loud. The point is: don't slut-shame. This goes for everyone, men and women. Okay, done. P.S. it's International Women's Day, yay.

2. The Rape-aXe is an anti-rape female condom developed by Sonnet Ehlers, because rape is such a horrific problem in South Africa. Basically it's this crazy little thing with dozens of sharp barbs inside that does... painful things... to a dude if he tries to rape a woman. It's kinda awesome. There's a bunch of controversy as to whether it should be sold in drugstores or if it should be taken off the market because it's too "medieval" and "barbaric". Blah blah blah, rape is barbaric. I strongly suggest that you checkitout because it's super rad and stuff. (Go here or here. Cool stuff, yo.)

3. Satya is a Sanskrit word that sort of means "truth" in English, but it's also a Buddhist principle about finding the ultimate truth and using it for a means of peace, by being completely truthful always but never using the truth to hurt anyone/anything. It's a lot more complicated than that, and I'm sort of obsessed with it and have this weird satya-complex that no one else really cares about so they all get really bored when I decide to launch into big spiels about satya, which happens semi-frequently.

4. The Creation of Adam is just one little section of Michelangelo's mega-famous fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. There are some craaazy theories about the painting being linked to brainz 'n' neuroanatomy that are pretty dope. Also, some about uterus things. And so forth. I'm really really really jazzed about all of this right now, so if you want to talk God/Michelangelo/brains/reproductive organs/Paganism/wtf-is-up-with-Adam's-belly-button sometime, I'm your girl. Also, if you're an attractive boy, I similarly am your girl. Or if you have a Cambridge Satchel that you want to get rid of. I'm pretty liberal about whose girl I actually am. I think I should probably stop writing now.




This has been a blog post, kind of.
-Avery Jalaine
  


2 comments:

  1. "If you want to talk God/Michelangelo/brains/reproductive organs/Paganism/wtf-is-up-with-Adam's-belly-button sometime, I'm your girl. Also, if you're an attractive boy, I similarly am your girl."

    LOLZ.

    Ur my funniest friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briiilliant. Ha. I'm really in love with you.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.