Wednesday, June 22, 2011

the want






I've heard that every character in a book has one thing that they want more than anything. The Want. It's their goal, their drive, the thing that makes them fight or travel across the world or do stupid things in front of important people or risk their life. It's the thing that wakes them up early in the morning, and it's the thing that keeps them up late at night. The Want. And it's different for every character. Sometimes it's a person, sometimes it's justice, and maybe it's even just a glass of milk but that glass of milk is so important that the character is willing to dive off a cliff or visit Hell to get it.


Aren't people --- real, breathing, non-fiction people --- the same though? Don't we have something that drives us, that keeps us alive? And maybe it's something that we'll never, ever get: but we want it more than anything else? The Want.

I can't guess what yours is. I'm not even positive if I know my own Want. Because is this the thing that I'd kill for? That I'd be killed for?


I don't know. I was just saying.





The love and loveliness.

-Avery Jalaine


2 comments:

  1. You're a lovely writer, and I love this post. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we ever really know we want. I tried to figure out what is I really, really want, what my Want is, but my mind is like quicksilver. The only thing I can settle on is that I want to love God more, love Him perfectly; that I want everyone to go to Heaven; and that I want life to be simple and full of love.
    And, really, is that so much to ask?

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.