Tuesday, April 5, 2011

for keeps






I'm back from San Fran.


I guess I never really mentioned that I was going.


Well, I went.

And I'll be sure to have some sort of post about it in the near future, because a lot of important things happened there like my first ever visit to H&M and also a whole team of teenage soccer players from Britain deciding to stay at the very same hotel where we were (do not pass out), but for now I'm at school and it's first period and I probably won't really put a dent into my San Francisco escapades with only 10 minutes left of class (well, now it's almost 6 pm and I'm really finishing this up, but I still don't want to do a San Fran post yet).




So I'll tell you about something else that I figured out, or at least skirted around the edges of figuring out, over my 5-day sabbatical. And forgive me, because you probably already understood this decades ago, but it's fairly new information to me. Bear with me.

To be happy, you don't need what everyone else has that makes them happy. Does that make sense?

You don't need to be famous just because it made Audrey Hepburn happy. You don't need some boyfriend just because some boyfriend is making some girlfriend happy and you can tell. You don't need to be bottle-blond just because it made Marilyn Monroe happy. You don't need to pretend to be inclined towards hipster-ism and wear a beanie because it makes some hipster happy. You don't need red lipstick because it makes me happy.


There are just a lot of things that won't make you happy. Like a diamond necklace. I'd like one, oh yes, but it wouldn't make me happy. In fact, a cubic zirconium is just as convincing.



Stop it, if that's not you. Don't sell out.




I told you so.

-Avery Jalaine


2 comments:

  1. Avery.
    I love you very much.
    You are very insightful - not to mention one of my dearest friends.
    Let's bake things and talk about how much we love Je -- I mean, that boy who is cute.
    Sincerely,
    Addy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning revelation that we all must make. And sometimes we need to make it more thanonce. Thanks for reminding me that all I need for happiness is what I have. And maybe a chiffon dress with some worn-out leather boots.

    Hope you had fun in San Fran. I love their chocolate, fog, trollies, and tomato bisque soup in sourdough bread bowls.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.