Friday, March 11, 2011

judging books






I judge books by their covers.

I mean this in the most literal way: when I'm walking through the bookstore, my eyes fall on the irresistible titles and lovely fonts and magnetic colors of the book's spine. And if the spine catches my attention, I pull it out halfway, move on to the way the cover really looks. It's hard to define what I find appealing in a book's cover. Sometimes it's still life but sometimes it's a drawing. Sometimes it's dark photography or a lack of color. Sometimes it's abstract, or ugly in a pretty way. If I hate it, I slide it back in. Seek and destroy. But if it's worthy, I pull it off the shelf and finally read the words on the back, the thing that I should've done in the first place. I decide if it's a smart, solid read, if I'd want to keep reading it after the first page. This is a certain shallowness of mine. Me, who takes a lot of pride in having good taste in books. How many lovely books am I missing out on just because they had unfortunate cover art? How much knowledge and insight am I sliding back onto the shelf just because of a title that doesn't make my ears ring?

This brings me to my real point: I judge books by their covers.

I mean this in the most metaphorical way: when I'm walking around, my eyes fall on the irresistible haircuts and lovely cheekbones and magnetic eyes of the glimpse of the boy. And if he catches my attention, I examine him halfway, move on to the way he really looks. It's hard to define what I find appealing in a boy. Sometimes it's his heart-shaped face but sometimes it's the line of his shoulders. Sometimes it's dark eyelashes, or a lack of sleep. Sometimes he's fair-skinned, or ugly in a pretty way. If I hate him, I stop watching. Seek and destroy. But if he's worthy, I finally look at his personality, the thing I should've done in the first place. I decide if he's a smart, solid person, if I'd want to keep seeing him after the first day. This is a certain shallowness of mine. Me, who takes a lot of pride in having good taste in boys. How many lovely people am I missing out on just because they had unfortunate genes? How much knowledge and insight am I sliding out of my life just because of a face that doesn't make my ears ring?


I judge books by their covers. And I miss out on a lot of good things, good people.
Don't be like me.
Let's change together.




Hook. Line. Sinker.
-Avery Jalaine



p.s. sorry I've been such a bad blogger lately. my sudden tumblr relapse isn't helping anything.

4 comments:

  1. I really really really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful mind and nack for poetic honesty.
    Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this.
    I also that you finally visited me.
    And that we made those cupcakes.
    Even though I'm the only who really made them.

    I judge books by their covers. And boys, for that matter, too. But you knew that already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!
    I too, judge books by their cover.
    It's all good (I think.)

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.