Monday, February 21, 2011

more poetry, because i can't think of anything else to say



Sleepyhead

by Avery Jalaine Taylor


Night fell softly
and the moon outside your window
was anxious and clever and full of teeth
all waiting for you to sleep.

And me in my bed
Unbraiding dreams.
Realities
and in between.
You woke up in the dark.

The night stretched tight
(tight as our lungs in a waking dream
of sleeping underwater.)
And did you say my name
as you screamed awake
(as you screamed awake to the sound of my voice?)
You could be far from here.
You could be far away from my window
and my bed and the crack of light under my door
where you know I sleep so soundly.

You could be somewhere far from here,
under a different sky than me.
But we'll both fall asleep to
the same blue-grey moon.
The same suggestion of dreaming of you
(of dreaming of me)
But time will not stop
and stars will not fall
and the grind of the earth circling the sun
will not be loud enough to keep you awake.

Let's go to sleep
simultaneously.



That one is sort of old. Anyway.
I'll think of something interesting to post soon, I promise.




President's Day.
-Avery Jalaine

1 comment:

  1. I like your poetry. I also like the Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun". Thanks for providing me with both.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.