Monday, January 3, 2011

so this is the new year. (and i don't feel any different..)






Hello, all. (Bonjour, tous.)

In case you're living in the past: It's 2011 now.


I'm not one to live YOUR life, but I'm opinionated and I think that every person should resolve. You are not perfect, but you try to be (I hope you try to be; but I love your imperfections, don't I?). Yes, you try to be.


So you lie to yourself: Fix all your flaws. Astound yourself.

You can do this.




And then,
truth:

Resolve to change things you'll never change. Make promises you'll break. Write them down on paper like it's easy to fix yourself so fast and painless.



And then mix them, the lie with the truth (the positive with the negative). Do one thing at a time. Try hard. Take little steps. Have faith. Eat.

This is how you will (how you might) succeed. It's all I've got.



Watch this video of one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands that I've been itching to post.

"The New Year" by Death Cab for Cutie






I especially especially especially love this one line, it's the type of lyric that makes me wish to have thought of it before I ever heard it, to have so much depth: "I wish the world was flat like the old days; then I could travel just by folding a map." Oh, oh, oh.


Well, what I'm saying is, be better this year.

Resolve, stretch, dig deep, be drastic, speak, want things, let it go, glitter, be safe, read, see, pray, be a lover and a fighter.




So this is the new year.
-Avery Jalaine

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, new year. I listened to that song on new years.

    Go figure, right?

    Hooray for posting that awesome song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My resolutions break down like this:
    Be less annoyed and more understanding; be as outgoing publicly as I am with my sisters (okay, maybe not that outgoing, but at least enough to say Hello to my Sunday school kids when I see them around); say Hi to that tall, devout Marine who prays with his head on his hands (assuming he's not deployed, of course); visit my elderly neighbor, Lily; invite someone over for dinner; stick with my super strict skin care regimen; sing in public; do 50 crunches every morning (doing good so far); read the whole Bible (I always get bogged down in Leviticus); eat larger quantities of quality chocolate, like Godiva and that really good stuff I had in San Francisco; make time to run (I love running); go kayaking again. Think that about covers it.

    BTW I just noticed that your playlist has Brand New Key. I love that song! I didn't know anyone else listened to that kind of stuff. Here's another one that you might like: She's A Rainbow by The Rolling Stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "and that really good stuff I had in San Francisco"


    You must mean Ghirardelli. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.