Saturday, December 11, 2010

stream of (conscience): we are one







Oh! Hello. Here's a post for you. By Avery.


I have trouble focusing in some of my classes. Like Pre-Calculus and Seminary. So mostly I write poetry and try to make it look like an assignment instead of poetry-for-fun because then everyone tries to stealthily read it over your shoulder. I hate that.


One of my favorite types of slapdash poetry that isn't really poetry is stream of conscious. It's a narrative style in which the point is to convey a straightforward translation of the narrator's thought process. My take on stream of conscious --- I nicknamed my particular brand of it Stream of Conscience --- is to write whatever lines come into my head, no deleting, no revising. The only things I kick out of the verse are worldly things that get into my head, like what the girl next to me is saying and the math lecture and when I notice that there's a peanut butter stain on my dress.


So here's a little ditty I wrote in French from October. I don't use spaces or commas when I write it, so it's a wee bit hard to read, and that's why I've added spaces. It sucked otherwise.


Most of it's symbols and exaggerations and metaphors, so don't take everything I say literally. I hope you like it a little bit, since it's my real thoughts. Or not, because it doesn't really matter. It's still how I think.


**Also, definitely don't read this whole thing. It's longer than the Holocaust.

Stream of Conscience.13: We Are One

We are one We are dreams and little figments of imagination We are careful and careless and so close to death We are imaginary friends We are honest and lovely and of good report We are white and we are black We are patriotic We are used to walking in circles and touching the sun We are hopeful and obscene We are musical to our deaths We are pained because of the current state of the economy We are flight-risks We are high maintenance We are claustrophobic and terrified of heights We are busy now We are helping each other climb through the dark We are secretive and openhearted We are okay now We are sandy-eyed as we fall asleep We are undecided We are unprepared We are unrighteous and unobedient We are unreal to each other but we seems so real We are all full of hopes and dreams and unclean things We are incredibly self-aware We are waiting at the door and we are waiting for love and hopelessness We are the spaces in between each other We are the spaces between the cracks We are together We are soft and rough We are a congregation We are a democracy We are sympathetic to your needs but there is nothing that we can do about it We are so tired We are theatrical and everybody hates us for it We are called to arms We are the colors without names and the love you lost as a child We are ruthless We are close-minded when it comes to politics We are a fragile all corrupt and glassy We are telling each other lies about heaven We are whitewashed all bleached out We are not accepted for ourselves We are so close to the sun We are insolent and ignorant and we don't know about war crime and love We are getting too old for this We are so in sync We are repetitive because we love routines We are terribly classy and everyone is jealous We are plural because we are one We are heartless We are forever at a red light and never moving on We are praying for rain We are melodic We are practicing for our recital because we're talented and arrogant We are fraternal twins all of us We are paper-cuts and salt We are the feeling of heartbreak We are old memories fading into nothing We are especially frightened tonight We are going to bed early We are overly attracted and terribly convinced We are animals We are all covered in dust and left upstairs in the attic We are under oath now We are not where we are supposed to be We are cynical really We are predestined to be in love We are awake all night and longing for someone We are mostly right We are the same not the same We are wrong for each other We are growing up and trying not to We are so obsessed We are all going to heaven what a surprise We are Americans at heart We are failing Physics but we're working on it We are the luckiest We are saying things that are not false but not fact We are late to everything We are ready to run at the slightest sound We are evading the law and telling half-truths We are wounded We are well-rounded and well-brought up We are lied to We are the ones who didn't play safe We are young at heart We are strangers We are not opposed to a later curfew We are loitering We are waiting in the wings We are scaring ourselves We are keeping our hands clean We are furious We are stopped in time We are most appalled by your behavior We are not so helpful afterall We are trying to stay awake We are full of mechanics and cogs We are clack and gold and red and blue We are indescribable We are immense in the sight of God We are hopeful We are making each other happy We are part of the wallpaper We are one.


Now I shall end this post which I intended to be longer, but then it turned out that this stream of conscious was like twelve hours long and you guys can't handle any more useless information. Are you asleep already? That's too bad.



Must love Friday nights.
-Avery Jalaine

2 comments:

  1. I love you more than I love most people.

    I have a story for you. (Hint: it about Cache.) (Another hint: it includes us dancing even though he doesn't know how to dance.) (And me trying to teach him to not be the worst dancer in the world.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are full of itching and twitching and anticipation or at least I am
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Avery. It was most definitely not boring. I think your blog is now officially my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.