Monday, November 8, 2010

the obvious truth






We are entirely too self-obsessed.



Not just selfish (though we're definitely that, too), just overly self-aware.


We get up in the morning and we're like "I have to look great because everyone cares if I wear this sweater-vest or that sweater-vest", and then we're like "I have to make sure my hair looks great because everyone will panic and die if I leave it like this: a little bit wavy", and then we walk around all day and as people pass us, we're like "I have to look good and maintain an aura of calm and no spontaneous dancing or singing or reciting the Bill of Rights by heart because everyone cares and is keeping track of every tiny thing that I do".


You have been misled.


Nobody cares---not one bit---what shoes you're wearing or what you do (unless it's obscenely obnoxious, and then, yes: calm down, we all hate you) or the way you move as you walk down the hall.

The truth is: if any of us do notice, it's probably because we're in love with you, and as such, probably think whatever you do is incredibly lovely.


We're all too wrapped up in thinking that everyone is paying attention to everything that I'm doing that we don't even care---we don't even realize---what you're doing. It's all about us.

Don't fret.




Be so much better tomorrow.
-Avery Jalaine

4 comments:

  1. why is everything you post so entirely, completely true?!

    I enjoy being enlightened with wit every time I visit your blog.

    Keep being cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Avery. How I adore this. It's true. Think about it. No one even cares about anybody else unless they are in love with them. And, in that case, you notice every single thing that someone else does and think all of it to be entirely the most lovely that has ever occurred ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen and hallelujah! I have seen the light!

    I believe also that "those who make their dress a principal part of themselves will become no more value than their dress."

    You're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach! So true. You must sit around all day thinking and shouting, "Eureka!" at regular intervals.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thanks. You're pretty.